What To Do and How To Report
Below are steps you can take if you have been sexually assaulted:

  1. Go to a safe place.
  2. Call the MSU Safeline (662)325-3333 which is available 24 hours a day. Rape is a crime and survivors have the right to report the crime. Contacting MSU Safeline does not mean someone has to be charged with a crime. It does mean that a victim will be offered appropriate care and can activate MSU’s Sexual Assault Response Team (SART).
  3. Survivors can ask to speak with a Sexual Assault Advocate. Advocates can assist in explaining the reporting process and providing accompaniment to the police station and hospital.
  4. Seek medical attention immediately. An advocate can meet you and stay with you at the MSU Student Health Center (662)325-2431 from 8 AM-5 PM on weekdays or the Oktibbeha County Hospital (OCH) Emergency Room (662) 615-2694 at any other time. Getting a medical exam does not mean you have to press criminal charges. Physical evidence should be collected utilizing the Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) within 72 hours of the assault. Survivors are encouraged to still seek medical care after 72 hours for appropriate treatment. The forensic exam is free of charge.

If you would like to disclose the incident to someone in full confidence, you can speak to a counselor at Student Counseling Services at (662)325-2091 from 8 AM - 5 PM on weekdays or contact MSU Safeline (662) 325-3333 and ask to speak to the counselor on-call after 5pm and on weekends.

Remember that being sexually assaulted is not your fault. No one asks or deserves to be sexually assaulted no matter what the circumstance.

Victim Options
Victims of sexual assault at Mississippi State University have several options for care and services. The victim has the right to accept or decline any or all of the following:

Who To Contact

MSU Safeline662-325-3333
MSU Student Counseling Services662-325-2091
MSU Police662-325-2121
Longest Student Health Center662-325-7539
Oktibbeha County Hospital Emergency Room662-615-2694
Dean of Students662-325-3611
Housing and Residence Life662-325-3557
Health Education & Wellness662-325-2090
Starkville Police Department662-323-4131
Oktibbeha County Sherriff’s Office662-323-2421
Office of Civil Rights404-562-7886